4.08.2009

Fashion + Design + Reality Competition TV = #1 FAN
It's probably no secret that I can talk about Project Runway for HOURS! It's my most beloved show on television and I'm a die-hard fan. Sadly, PR has left the BRAVO-TV family and moved to Lifetime, but that's a topic for another day because today I want to talk about how excited I am about the new fashion competition show debuting in less than a month on BRAVO: The Fashion Show. I admit, at first I was extremely skeptical. It felt to me as if my most beloved program was being replaced and I was not a happy {couch} camper! But then I started reading the interviews with Host, Isaac Mizrahi, whom I've always had a bit of a soft spot for. He can't replace Tim Gunn, but he doesn't need to because Mizrahi is fabulous {and flamboyant} in his own right!!! He's the only reason I've agreed to let myself watch the new show. Ok, that's a lie. BRAVO is practically the only channel I ever watch! Mizrahi's interview with MediaBistro was quite insightful, a little profound and very entertaining; just like the man himself. In fact, he likes to think of himself as a 'champion of telling it like it is.' I say "bravo" to more Isaac Mizrahi on TV!!

Among my favorite interview tid-bits...

MediaBistro: It seems as if Bravo's plan is to have your show fill the void left by Project Runway. What do you think?
Mizrahi: "I don't really see it at all as competing with that show. It's just a fashion competition show. There should be more than one. There are so many food competition shows on every channel."

MediaBistro: Your collections and certainly your attitude toward the business in general have always been very optimistic. How significant a part has that played in your career and your desire to keep trying new things?
Mizrahi: "I've trained myself to think a certain way. For me, there's nothing in life but bravery. There's nothing in life but looking at the thing you're most afraid of and doing it. That, to me, is all. You can see it in my clothes. The clothes for Liz [Claiborne] are so optimistic. If you go and just wear black for the rest of your life now because there's a recession, the circumstances have won. They've won out. You have lost the big hard battle. It just like what President Obama was saying: Now is not the time to lose the battle, now is the time to see all the gray areas and try to work within those areas. I want you to think about a pink print. You take one step at a time, one belt at a time, one shoe at a time, and you'll get there."

The Fashion Show
Premiere May 7th, 10pm ET, BRAVO-TV

Isaac Mizrahi
Host, Judge
Mizrahi, already a big name in the faashion industry, became a household name when he introduced his eponymous line for Target. Recently, he's made the move to Creative Director for the Liz Claiborne brand, which Michelle Obama has been seen wearing. You can't go wrong when the First Lady is a fan of your brand!

Kelly Rowland, Judge and Co-Host
Best-selling Grammy-winning solo artist and a founding member of Destiny's Child, the top-selling female recording group of all-time.
Fern Mallis, Judge
Senior Vice President of IMG Fashion. She is widely credited as the creator of New York “Fashion Week.”
Laura Brown, Guest Judge
Harpers Bazaar

Mizrahi and Mallis definitely have the fashion knowledge to judge such a competition, but I'm not quite sure where Kelly Rowland fits in with the fashion world. I have a feeling that should the show do really well, she could be replaced as co-host for future seasons. I also noticed from reading the contestants bio's that most (if not all) of the contestants have worked in the fashion industry in a major way or have already developed their own lines, whereas, it seems like PR had a lot more fresh-faced newbies. However, the major difference is that "America" will decide the winner. That element makes the show so much more competitive and turned the show in to a 'popular party'. Now, each contestant has to make the viewer fall in love with them. Basically, the editing of the show can either make or break you. We'll see what happens!

For the record, I currently watch the following BRAVO programs:
Top Design, Top Chef, Flipping Out, {occassionally} any of the Real Housewives of OC/Atlanta/NY/New Jersey, and Kathy Griffin. Re-runs of: Project Runway, America's Next Top Model, Law & Order.
!!

No comments:

Post a Comment