3.25.2009

"I'LL EAT YOU UP!"



Why do I have such a soft spot for kids movies these days? Probably because this one is based on the beloved childrens book Where The Wild Things Are (Maurice Sendak)!

The new trailer for Where The Wild Things Are has just been leaked. It's really sweet too. Check it out before it gets removed (scroll down to find). The film, set to be released October 16, 2009 is directed by Spike Jonze, video/movie director (Adaptation, Being John Malkovich). We've all read the book about the imaginary adventures of a young boy named Max, who is angry after being sent to his room without supper. His angry mother calls him a 'wild thing' and Max is so cross he shouts back, "I'll eat you up!" He then creates a forest inhabited by many large imaginary monsters, who crown him their ruler. He then befriends a large monster called Carol, who helps him understand the meaning of love. The book is a personal favorite, behind The Giving Tree (Shel Silverstein). Great director...Great book...I'm so excited to see this!!



Fun Facts:
-The book is only 10 lines long.
-The open call for Max was huge. It took several months and thousands of boys auditioned from several countries worldwide.
-Spike Jonze was approached by Maurice Sendak and was asked to take on the film adaptation. A movie had been on the burner since the early 90s, and Mr. Sendak had not been able to find anyone fitting to take it on.
-The costumes were created by The Jim Henson Company, who were responsible for the Muppets and Labyrinth creatures.
-It has been said that actors in the monster costumes would wear the head for no more than half an hour at a time, after which they would have 10-15 minute breaks in front of an air conditioner. Stunt performers would remain fully suited for hours at a time, without air conditioning. (Dude, I've been there! I used to make extra money by dressing in a huge mouse constume and it was WICKED HOTTTT!)
-Filming began in 2005. Early development of a film version was leaning towards a fully-animated film.
-Much of the footage was shot in Melbourne, Australia.

Update:
I am even more excited about this movie now that I've learned Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs is composing the music (read)! Seriously??!! Awesome!!

2 comments:

  1. You know I got to play Max in our class play of "Where the Wild Things Are" in 1st grade at Travis Heights? I think Mom and Dad came to see it. Probably didn't know that did ya? : )

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I knew that, but it does sound vaguely familiar. I wish I remembered though. How sweet. You would've made a good Max at that age. You were kind of a brat like him! ;)

    ReplyDelete